11.23.2011

Give Thanks for Cupcakes!!!

Ok! Ok! I know this post doesn't directly have to do with weddings in general, but it has to do with our wedding: Cupcakes and Crafting! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, a time when family gathers together to share with each other and pause to be thankful for the blessings in their lives. And to eat. A LOT (Which I am very much looking forward to, I will probably be in the gym everyday next week to pay for it too!). Patrick and I visit both our families on Thanksgiving, so we'll get two giant dinners (food-coma).

Well, being the Cupcake-Freak that I am, I decided that these little guys would be perfect for my contribution to Thanksgiving...get ready: 

Butterbeer Cupcakes. 

(I KNOW!) I found the recipe through an adorable blog called The Pastry Affair and I was instantly smitten. I love Harry Potter as much as the next gal, so this recipe became a shining achievement for me when I was done; much like catching the Golden Snitch (I'm a nerd)!

Harry Potter + Cupcakes = Magic Delicious
The recipe was fairly simple to make. Here it is!
(Taken from The Pastry Affair; the [blue] will be my commentary)

Butterbeer Cupcakes
Adapted from Amy Bites Yields 18 cupcakes
Butterbeer Cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cream soda
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a cupcake tin with baking cups.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and butter flavoring.[I then added a sprinkling of Crushed Cloves, for that perfect Autumn-y taste/smell. Totally optional, of course!!!]

Whipping up the cakes!
Using my best friends' wedding favor Vanilla extract
as an ingredient makes it made with love!!!
Cupcake batter
Fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, 1/3 of the flour mixture, cream soda, and then the remaining flour. Folding in these ingredients will prevent over-mixing and will result in a fluffier, less dense cupcake. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 15-18 minutes [I only did about 16 minutes and they were perfect], or until the cupcakes are golden and spring back when touched. Cool completely before frosting.[Definitely allow at least 20 minutes to cool, otherwise the next steps will be more challenging]
Using the Teacup Cupcake holders
Delicious!

Butterscotch Ganache
11 ounces (1 package) butterscotch chips
1 cup heavy cream
In a small saucepan on medium heat, melt the butterscotch chips into the heavy cream, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before using.
Butterscotch Buttercream
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup butterscotch ganache (recipe above)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
Pinch of salt
3-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Splash of heavy cream (as needed)
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the butterscotch ganache, vanilla, butter flavoring, and salt. Beat in the powdered sugar for 2-3 minutes, starting with 3 cups and adding more only if necessary. Add the cream a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved (I only needed 1 tablespoon).
To Assemble
Pour butterscotch ganache into a plastic squeeze bottle. Stab the tip of the bottle into cupcake and fill each cupcake with butterscotch ganache until it starts to overflow.[I used a turkey baster to create a hole, and then filled it with the ganache]
Fill a pastry bag with butterscotch buttercream and pipe onto the top of each cupcake [Now, as you can see, I had a lot of trouble, so I went home-style and just slathered the frosting on, but if you are clever, go for the piping!] . Drizzle on the butterscotch ganache. Lick your fingers clean if you just so happen to get extra butterscotch on them. If you have any leftover butterscotch ganache, it can be used as ice cream topping. [Or like me, you can add more clove powder and some cinnamon sugar to the top! Yummers!]
Store in an airtight container at room temperature 
Voila! Beautiful butterbeer cupcake!!! 
I LOVED the way that they displayed the cupcakes from The Pastry Affair pictures, so I decided to make some adorable signs as well. It was super easy, but I think it added a really nice touch! I took some orange card stock  and my awesome oval stamp (from Michael's) and punched out a bunch of ovals.

I wrote some cute little messages like "Yum," "Enjoy," and "Happy Thanksgiving" on them with a calligraphy pen. And then simply taped them to a toothpick.
Easy-peasy!



I stuck them in the cupcakes and BOOM, BAM! Done.


Took all my strength not to eat one.
So there's my Thanksgiving Cupcake love song! It was super easy and since the little signs look so cute I think I might make some for our wedding cupcakes! Maybe with Patrick's and my *s!!! I'll keep you updated!

Enjoy the recipe! There are tons of other adorable, scrumptious-looking recipes on The Pastry Affair, so check it out!

Best,

Micah

No comments:

Post a Comment